|SIP - Machines
|SPC Series SIP
The names SIP and StarragHeckert are synonymous with precision and high production
manufacturing. StarragHeckert and SIP machining centers are used
worldwide in leading companies where productivity, quality, and precision are a
must. To assist industry in helping meet these increasingly stringent requirements,
StarragHeckert and SIP have combined the benefits of intelligent German engineering
with the time honored Swiss precision of SIP. The result is the SPC Series SIP.
The SPC Series is designed for the horizontal machining of super-precise components. The machine can be specifically employed to carry out the precision boring and milling of critical bore holes, precision chamfers, and edges. SIP machine accuracy is measured in accordance with VDI/DGQ and ISO standards i.e. Positioning Accuracy (P) VDI/DGQ standard for a SIP SPC: P <= 0,004mm.
The basic machine can be configured either as a 4- or 5-axis horizontal machining centre. Thanks to the modular machine concept the SPC can act as a stand-alone centre, as manufacturing cell, or be connected to a flexible manufacturing system (FMS).
By the way:
At SIP, tolerances are not ascertained by soft, regional, Asian standards but are in accordance with the strictest metric ISO or VDI/DGQ standards.
- Horizontal spindle for highest accuracy
- Modular machine construction
- Thanks to their perfect geometry, highest exactness can be guaranteed
- Steal measuring scales with precision class of +/- 2 μm
- Clamping area from 630 x 630 mm / 24.8 x 24.8 inch to 800 x 1000 mm / 31.5 x 39.4 inch
- Interference area diameter of 1400 mm / 55.1 inch
- Optimised component load bearing capacity from 1500 kg to 2000 kg
- CNC control choice of Fanuc or Siemens
- Up to 300 tool locations
- SAM (Service Assistant Module with Siemens control only)
Component of a high precision machine
- In the precision machine industry every component tolerance has an effect on the achievable accuracy of the complete machining system. It is for this reason that the best machine engineers in the world trust the super precision of SIP for the manufacture of quality critical components.
- Today’s aerospace companies are faced
with manufacturing challenges. In particular
are the demands of machining complex
materials and hard to machine metals such
as Titanium and Inconel. The manufacturing difficulties are further
compounded when bores and dimensionalshapes
require machined tolerances in the
micron range. The SPC Series SIP is specifically
designed to meet these demanding
Our proven high precision machine design
and “best in class” geometry works in concert
with the machine’s productive automation
features to deliver a real benefit to the
- Engines and drive train components used in
today’s vehicles are becoming increasingly
more powerful and efficient. In contrast to
the past, the materials that make up the new
power train are compact and lighter.
To be sure, the manufacturing challenges
remain daunting. Issues such as quick set
up times, fast change over, part handling
and rapid chip to chip times are increasingly
critical in today’s environment. It is evident
that CPK requirements and the need for
producing accurate parts are close companions.
To this end, the SPC Series SIP meets the
manufacturing requirements of the transport
industry head on by utilizing the flexibility
features of our compact machine design
with high precision that is essential for producing
good parts consistently. The result
is super precision parts produced efficiently
with high throughput.
Injection moulding machine cover plate
- Thermal management is vital for achieving
super precision. In this respect, the machines
symmetrical structure is an advantage in the
thermal management process. Already with
construction, it is considered that thermal
sources are prevented from approaching the
- The essentials of precision start with scraping.
We begin with the machine tool and
scrape each individual surface that requires
precision. This includes the linear guide
ways, ball screws, spindle housing and axes
surfaces. Our engineers at the cradle of precision in
Geneva have spent decades in perfecting the
scraping craft. Their know-how in this very
sophisticated field of scraping for perfect
machine geometries separate the SPC from
any other machine in its class.
- Direct travel measuring systems are used
for measurement of the length of all linear
axes. The measuring systems are securely
protected against dirt due to their casing.
The precision class of the selected steal
measuring scales is +/- 2μm. Thermal expansion
coefficient of the measuring scales is
the same as with the machine base.
- The horizontal main spindle meets the
requirements for maximal cutting power.
Its AC main drive has driving power up to
50kW, and speeds from 20 to 10'000 rpm
are available. The main spindle is designed
for tool holding the HSK-A100 hollow shaft
cone or ISO 50, BT 50 and CAT 50 steep
cone. The tools are securely chucked and
hydraulically released via the plate spring
- A quick machining time in super precision
greatly depends on the robustness of a high
quality guide way system engineered for the
agility of quick movement. The guide way
system must be smooth, accurate, and reliable
while possessing the keen ability to
support high cutting forces without compromising
- At SIP, scraping is done by hand. The linear motion guide way utilized on the
SPC Series SIP meets all of these characteristics.
For years the guide way scraping
techniques used at SIP has been the
bedrock of SIP’s ability to perfect precision.
SIP’s scraping and machine building
knowledge is used on the SPC Series SIP
to prepare the complete surface where the
linear guides rest.
Aviation transmission casing made from magnesium
Unequalled Precision thanks to Hand Scraping